North Shore-LIJ in NY posts patient reviews online
- New York's North Shore-LIJ Medical Group has become one of a few large practices in the US to begin posting patients' reviews of its doctors online.
- The ratings come from surveys handled by Press Ganey, a certified US CMS vendor.
- The group notes the rating process differs from physician rating sites such as Yelp or Healthgrades, which do not verify that if a reviewer was actually a patient the doctors being rated.
North Shore-LIJ is making the move to exceed patients' growing expectations for transparency, the group says.
The group's new "Find a Doctor” page will include feedback from patients about physicians primarily in the health system’s outpatient offices throughout the New York metropolitan area. It will not include specialists and hospitalists who only provide care in inpatient settings in the health system’s 19 hospitals.
Patients are able to provide feedback about their visit and rate physicians on a one-to-five scale on the following:
- How well diagnosis is explained;
- Concern for patient’s questions or worries;
- Efforts to include patient in treatment decisions;
- How medications were explained;
- Follow-up care instructions;
- Usage of words the patient could understand;
- Time spent with the patient;
- Patient's confidence in the physician; and
- Likelihood to recommend the physician.
- North Shore-LIJ North Shore-LIJ Begins Posting Online Patient Reviews of Physicians
- The Wall Street Journal Long Island hospital posts doctor ratings