Healthcare providers rate population health management vendors
- Black Book's top-rated electronic health record (EHR) vendors offering end-to-end solutions in population health management (PHM) are Allscripts, Cerner, and Epic.
- The top six “best-of-breed” PHM vendors delivering end-to-end solutions are IBM Watson Health, Evolent Valence, The Advisory Board, Optum, Philips Wellcentive, and Cardigm.
- Despite growing interest in PHM initiatives, 81% of healthcare providers don’t have the right technology to meet all of their needs, according to the research firm.
The healthcare industry's shift to value-based, patient-centric care is one of the biggest drivers of the population health management market, which is expected to reach $31.6 billion globally by 2020, MarketsandMarkets reported last year. As a result of clinicians' payments being tied to the quality of services provided, there is demand for solutions that combine claims and clinical data to identify at-risk patients, track down missing or inconsistent documentation and boost collaboration between providers, payers and patients, Black Book noted.
Siddharth Dutta, a consultant at MarketsandMarkets, told Healthcare Dive this year could see “a multitude of out-of-the-box non-health care players” enter the space. However, there is still work to be done to improve PHM technologies. A report released by research firm KLAS last month found there is no single PHM platform with the capabilities of meeting all the needs of its users. “The world of population health is so vast that there is no one vendor that does it all for providers,” KLAS Research Director Bradley Hunter said in a statement. “Depending on the needs of the provider, there are various solutions.”
The Black Book report also found many hospitals lack infrastructure to support PHM efforts. For example, 80% of surveyed CIOs said they don’t have "the information technology or staff in-house needed to transform PHM end-to-end as their executive team envisions."
- Black Book Population Health Management Becoming a Priority for Providers, but Many Struggle With Stop-Gap Solutions and Lack of Infrastructure, Says Latest Black Book Survey
- Black Book IBM Watson Health Rated Top End-to-End Population Health Solution in Black Book™ Best-of-Breed Study
- CBS New 8 Population Health Management Becoming a Priority for Providers, but Many Struggle With Stop-Gap Solutions and Lack of Infrastructure, Says Latest Black Book Survey