Doctors top Glassdoor's list of 25 highest paying jobs in America
- Physicians earn more than any other profession in the U.S., according to Glassdoor’s recently released 25 Highest Paying Jobs in America for 2017.
- Pharmacy managers ranked second, with four other healthcare-related jobs also making the list.
- The results reflect a job’s earning potential (median base salary), job satisfaction and the number of job openings for a job title.
For physicians, the median base salary was $187,876, with 7,770 job openings. Other jobs on healthcare’s front lines include:
- Pharmacy manager – $149,064 median base salary / 2,370 job openings (2)
- Medical science liaison – $139,272 / 525 (4)
- Pharmacist – $125,847 / 5,496 (5)
- Physician assistant - $112,529 / 13,547 (7)
- Nurse practitioner - $104,144 / 12,566 (14)
Nurse practitioner made the top paying jobs list for the first time this year, along with attorney.
A recent list of 50 Best Jobs in America for 2017, also by Glassdoor, ranked occupational therapist, nurse practitioner and nurse manager in the top three slots, with physician coming in at 34.
Salaries have been rising for most healthcare professions, according to an economic analysis released by Glassdoor last fall. During 2016, average salaries for physicians grew 2.7% to $197,297, while registered nurses’ salaries rose 3.4% to $61,306. Medical assistants saw salaries grow by 6.3% to $33,244.
Location matters, however. A recent report by 24/7 Wall St. found wide state-to-state variations in primary care physician salaries. At the top end was Alaska, where salaries averaged $235,600, while Oklahoma ranked last at $144,100.