Texas Health Resources tops list of 30 'Best Workplaces in Health Care'
- Fortune and its partner Great Place to Work released their ranking of the 30 best workplaces in the healthcare industry based on "thousands of surveys of employees in all ranks" on Wednesday.
- Texas Health Resources topped the list, followed by Encompass Home Health and Hospice, Baptist Health South Florida, Miami Children's Health System and Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare. Other notable mentions include the Cleveland Clinic (17) and Mayo Clinic (22).
- Being recognized on this list means these organizations are "serious about creating a great workplace and comfortable with transparency," according to Fortune's partner.
Healthcare professionals have a great deal of frustrations to deal with with the major transformation the industry has been undergoing. From the overhaul of clinicians' payments with MACRA's implementation of the Quality Payment Program to the digitalization of healthcare, it is crucial for healthcare organizations to continue to improve clinician satisfaction and address issues like burnout as they come to grips with the transition to value-based care.
The strategies used at the recognized organizations, such as offering perks, can be replicated and/or improved upon to also help retain care professionals at a time when they are most needed. Research has shown the supply of clinicians will not be enough to meet the demand for healthcare services over the next few years. Clinician shortages will become even more apparent when the country's aging population begins to require more services. Some of the perks the organizations offer that have helped keep their employees happy include low insurance premiums, paid time off and wellness resources.
Most of the organizations that were recognized are located in Texas, which is where the top two workplaces are located. This is the second year in a row that these organizations top the list. Almost all (94%) of the surveyed employees at Texas Health Resources and at Encompass Home Health and Hospice are satisfied with their workplace. The other Texas-based healthcare organizations in the list are Adeptus Health, Baylor Scott & White Health and the American Heart Association.
However, a WalletHub study released last month showed Texas is among the worst states to practice medicine. It is also one of the states with the most pronounced shortages of care professionals, according to Indeed.com.
- Great Place to Work Best Workplaces In Health Care
- Fortune The 30 Best Workplaces in Health Care
- Fortune Want to Build a Resilient Team? The Best Health Care Employers Have Answers
Follow Ana Mulero on Twitter